My plan originally was to use a chemical paint stripper to remove the finish. Today on impulse I decided to try sanding the guitar’s finish off to see where it would take me. I was convinced that I would need a palm sander and I still may, but I seem to be getting really good results using my hands.
I started with a course sandpaper and moved on to finer paper as I progressed. I used a piece of 2X4 lumber scrap as a sanding block and after a good hour and a half of work I had pretty much finished sanding the finish off the front of the body.
I’m pretty happy with the progress I’ve been making. There is only one snag that I’ve run into, and that is an imperfection in the wood itself. I’m not sure if I can do anything to fix it, and may be forced to paint the guitar as opposed to stain it.
There also is a possibility that staining the guitar will more or less hide this imperfection. I’m going to seek advice before choosing a finish. For now I’m going to continue removing the old finish and see what else I unearth.