I read this today:
Police said a Bellaire man had to be removed from his home on Washington Street Sunday.
Police said the man’s skin had become attached to the fabric of the chair after he sat in it for two years
Authorities said he was sitting in his own feces and urine and maggots were visible.
Police were called in to help transfer the man to the hospital.
Authorities said they had to cut a hole in the wall to get the man out of his home.
Shockingly, two other able-bodied people lived there–another man, who had a separate bedroom, and the girlfriend of the man who was stuck in the chair. Officials say the girlfriend served food to him, since he never got up.
Bellaire Code Enforcer Jim Chase says now the tenants have been given orders to clean it or leave it.
One officer said it was the worst thing he ever responded to. And most said the worst part of all was the smell. Ironically the landlord says the man in the chair rented from her before and used to be a vital active person.
She says she checked on them periodically but lately he always sat with a blanket over him. She says she had no idea it had come to this.
Sunday morning his housemates called officials when he was unresponsive.
The 43-year-old man is currently in the hospital.
This is kinda’ gross. You would think his housemates would have called the officials before this point, maybe at the feces and maggots point. According to news reports now, the man has died. This was an avoidable death.
Original Link: http://wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=96699